I chose this recipe for three reasons. We’re starting to feel the Fall weather and that always makes me think of casseroles and soups. This is a dairy-free recipe. AND this is a gluten-free recipe. Please let us know what you think of it. Enjoy! This recipe is from 40 Aprons.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive our best sales, ways to connect with your children through our Lunchbox Love, and much MORE!
- 4 slices Whole30-compliant bacon , cut into about 1/2″ pieces
- 1 pound Italian sausage , made from below recipe or storebought
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium yellow potatoes , about 1 pound 3 ounces, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic , minced, about 4 cloves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch kale , stems removed and leaves chopped, 4 cups
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper , to taste
In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed medium pot over medium heat, add Italian sausage and sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes over. Use a spoon to break up the pieces. When browned and cooked through, drain and set aside.
Cook the bacon pieces in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Remove the crisp bacon and set aside – don’t get rid of the bacon fat! Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the onions and garlic, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 10-20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the coconut milk and the cooked sausage; heat through. Add the bacon and the kale into the soup just before serving and cook ’til the kale is bright green and softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.