I found this Matzo Ball Soup recipe on the Gonna Want Seconds web site. This is a classic Passover meal. What I liked about the post associated with this soup recipe was that it gave you variations on the matzo balls and gave suggestions on making portions of the soup ahead of time since it is an involved process. Let me us know how your comes out!
Sign up for our newsletter for our best sales and holiday ideas!
- Chicken Stock:
- 1-(4-5 Pound) Whole Chicken
- 1 1/2 Pounds Chicken Wings
- 2 Large Yellow Onions, Quartered
- 6 Large Carrots, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 6 Celery Stocks, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 1/2 Small Turnip
- 2 Shallots, Quartered
- 2 Small Heads Garlic, Halved Crosswise
- 2 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 3-4 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Tablespoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 12-14 Cups Water (Use just enough to cover all Ingredients)
- Matzo Balls:
- 4 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 1/4 Cup Rendered Chicken Fat (From Stock) or Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Seltzer Water
- 1 Cup Matzo Meal
- 1 3/4 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- To Finish:
- 1 1/2 Cup Carrots, 1/4 Inch Diced
- 1 Cup Celery, 1/4 Inch Diced
- 1-2 Large Sprigs Fresh Dill
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Dill
Make Chicken Stock:
- Place all ingredients in a very large stockpot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and gently simmer, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Carefully remove the whole chicken to a cutting board, allow to cool slightly, then remove all the breast meat. Shred the breast meat and when cool enough, wrap, store in the refrigerator.
- Return the carcass and any skin that was removed back to the pot. Continue to simmer stock, skimming the surface occasionally, for another 1 1 /2 hours, or until the stock has been reduced by one third.
- Strain chicken stock through a fine mesh sieve into a large, clean saucepan or heatproof container and discard the solids. You should have approximately 8 cups of stock. Allow to cool, then refrigerate. Remove solidified fat from the surface and save to use in Matzo Balls. Can be made 2 days ahead.
Make The Matzo Balls:
- In a small bowl, whisk together matzo meal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, seltzer water, and schmaltz or vegetable oil. Mix in the matzo meal mixture to the dried ingredients. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, form Matzo balls into 1 1/2 inch balls, wetting your hands and roll them to finish shaping them. Rewet your hands as needed.
- Meanwhile, divide the chicken stock evenly into 2 large saucepans. Add the matzo balls to one of the saucepans, cover and simmer until they’re cooked through, about 1 hour. In the other saucepan, add the carrots, celery and 1-2 sprigs of dill simmer until they’re tender. Remove dill sprigs.
- When the matzo balls are cooked, using a slotted spoon, add them to the saucepan with the cooked carrots and celery, then pour the matzo ball cooking chicken broth through a fine sieve into the saucepan with the cooked veggies and matzo balls. Add the chopped dill.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and serve. Garnish with chopped dill.