Is this weird? Kinda! But I know my kids! Breakfast for dinner is always a winner! I’ve probably told you this before. When my boys have sports practice early, my husband whips up pancakes with a side of fruit! So, it’s Saturday and I’m posting early because tomorrow is going to be cray-cray! We have to be at a wrestling tournament at 7:15am and it’s a bit of a drive! Today, we have a busy schedule too. I’ve decided that is would be easy for tonight AND tomorrow morning if I make a breakfast casserole! Yay! This one looks easy and delicious and I have all the ingredients! Here goes!
Image and recipe from the kitchn
Butter or cooking spray
12 large eggs
2 cups whole or 2% milk
1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups cubed day-old bread
1 pound pork or pork breakfast sausage, cooked and drained of excess fat
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- Prepare the slow cooker: Grease the bottom and sides of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker bowl with butter or cooking spray.
- Whisk the eggs: Crack the eggs into a large bowl, then whisk until the whites and yolks are completely broken up, and the eggs are a bit frothy.
- Season the eggs: Add the milk, mustard, salt, and pepper, and whisk to fully combine; set aside.
- Assemble the casserole: Place the cubed bread in the slow cooker in an even layer. Top with the cooked sausage, cheese, onion, and red pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the top. If necessary, use a spoon to push down the bread and cheese so that they are mostly submerged in the liquid.
- Cook the casserole: Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. The casserole is ready when the eggs are set, the top is golden-brown, and the sides are browned and pull away slightly from the bowl.