Here’s a vegetarian dish for you. I think I will cook ours on the grill. Everything goes on the grill in the summer right? Double up the recipe and you will have leftovers for a beautiful lunch for monday as well. Add a little side salad or fruit salad – DELISH! This recipe is from Kitschen Cat. I’ve got to try her Raspberry Mango Smoothie.
There’s always great meal ideas, whether their lunches or dinners, in our newsletter so check it out! There may be some insider scoops on sales as well!
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, oil, egg yolk, garlic powder, oregano, pepper flakes, and salt in a large bowl.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and divide into 4 even pieces.
- With a rolling pin or your hands, flatten each piece into a 7 inch round on a piece of parchment paper.
- Spread ¼ of spinach filling evenly over half of each dough round, making sure to leave a 1 inch border around the edge.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and then fold the other half of the dough circle over spinach mixture, leaving the bottom ½ inch border uncovered.
- Press edges of dough together and pinch with fingers to seal.
- With a sharp knife, cut 5 steam vents in top of calzones and brush tops with remaining egg wash.
- Transfer calzones onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, brush with any remaining egg wash and sprinkle with grated parmesan, then bake for another 7 minutes.
- Move to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.