I chose this recipe for a couple of reasons…. I wanted a recipe that was “Spring-like” (even though our weather has not been!) and I liked that it was vegan. Oh – and it takes only 20 minutes! More family time! You can always add chicken to it if you wanted. The recipe is from Vegan Heaven.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 9 oz gemelli pasta
- juice of one small lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 17 oz fresh green asparagus
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Cut off the woody ends of the green asparagus and cut it into 2 inch pieces. Pan-fry it. You can either do this in the same pot before cooking the pasta and set them aside if you want to make a real one pot recipe. Or if you don’t mind getting another pan dirty, you can also do this while the pasta is cooking. Just add some oil in a non-sticky pot or a pan and cook the asparagus for about 5-8 minutes depending on how thick they are.
- In a large pot, heat some oil and sauté the onion for 3 minutes until it becomes translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the uncoooked pasta, the vegetable broth, the coconut milk, and the lemon juice. Cook for 15-18 minutes. Stir a couple of times while cooking.
- When the pasta is al dente, stir in the lemon zest and the cooked asparagus. Cook for 2 more minutes and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Enjoy!