Looks like this will create some major leftovers which will be perfect. We have trick-o-treat tomorrow night so we can have this first. What are your plans and traditions for Halloween? Since our boys were little, we always go to the neighborhood I grew up trick-o-treating in. Our first stop – Memere and Grampy’s! And then we go downtown for a parade. It’s nice to catch up with other “kids”that I grew up with! I think this recipe from Noshing with the Nolands will warm us right up!
Stay on top of our greatest deals and positive parenting tips! Our newsletter has all this and more!
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef, browned
- 3 chorizo sausages, cooked and diced
- 2 dried chipolte peppers (small or 1½ large)
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1-28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
- 2-14 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1-28 oz. kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-14 oz. can Aduki Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- Red and green jalapeno peppers, sliced for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet.
- Meanwhile soak the chipotle peppers in boiling water to rehydrate for 20 min.
- Place the red and orange peppers under a broiler to char. Once charred place in a bowl and cover with a cloth to steam and cool.
- Once the beef is browned add to a large bowl of a slow cooker. In the same pan brown the chorizo. Once cooked, dice into small pieces and add to the beef.
- Add the onions and garlic now to the pan with a little oil if needed. Saute until translucent and add to the beef mixture.
- Chop the chipotle peppers once rehydrated. Skin and seed the red and orange peppers and dice. Add all the peppers to the beef mixture.
- Add in the green peppers, both kinds of tomatoes, red wine, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Cook on low 6-8 hours. In the last hour add the beans and corn.
- Garnish with the jalapenos and cheese if using.