We have tacos once in a while in our home. Two of us like soft tacos and two of us like hard tacos. No prob! The epiphany I have time and time when we all get the table is – everyone likes tacos! Everyone picks their own toppings and EVERYONE eats. And I always think – we should have tacos every week! It’s easy and fun and quick too! So this week, I decided to seek out some other recipes that would satisfy like tacos. I decided on Chicken Enchiladas from Let’s Dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 10-12 small flour or corn tortillas
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place cooked, shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add spinach and saute a few minutes more until wilted. Stir spinach mixture into chicken, along with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- To the same skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the flour. Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until broth is thickened, then stir in the green chiles, sour cream and lime juice. Stir 1 cup of the sauce to the chicken and spinach mixture.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in the pan.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until cheese is bubbly and enchiladas are golden brown. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.