This is for our vegetarian friends and all lovers of eggplant! I think I can even make this work for my picky eaters. I mean, LOOK at all that cheese! I like to feature meals that appeal to as many of our followers s possible so if you rather have a meat with dinner, ADD MEAT! And enjoy! Check out Pint Sized Treasures for other delicious recipes!
Image from Pint Sized Treasures
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 10 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Place eggplant slices on a wire rack and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sweat for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- Brush with olive oil on both sides and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
- Mix ricotta, garlic, oregano, Italian, egg, and pepper in a bowl.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour a couple of 1/4 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and spread it around. Lay some eggplant slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread some ricotta cheese over the eggplant, followed by half of the tomato slices and some of the torn pieces of basil leaves.
- Layer 1 cup of the Italian cheese and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella followed by 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Repeat those layers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and return to the oven and broil the cheese until just beginning to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
Sign up for our newsletter to see what’s new with Lunchbox Love®!